If you ever questioned: are hiking boots good for work? Yes, they are.
They are versatile, and comfortable and can be a great option if you are tight on a budget and do not want to get two separate boots for hiking and work.
However, hiking boots are not recommended for work around a heavy construction site, where better and specific protection is needed against electrical hazards, chemical hazards, or nail puncture hazards.
Generally, work boots have a steel toe for protection, unlike hiking boots. Hiking boots usually are more flexible and have EVA insoles that provide more comfort and cushioning compared to a work boot.
You can also read a full comparison of hiking boots vs work boots here.
If you’re short on time, here are my top picks for some of the best hiking boots that you can use for work:
- Best Overall: Carhartt Men’s Oxford Black Lightweight Hiker SteelToe CMO3251 Industrial Boot
- Best Hiking Work Boots For Men: NORTIV 8 Men’s Ankle High Waterproof Hiking Boots Outdoor Lightweight Shoes Trekking Trails
- Best For a Splurge: Timberland PRO Men’s Hyperion 6 Inch XL Alloy Safety Toe Waterproof Industrial Hiker Work Boot
- Best For Women: Kodiak Women’s 6-Inch Journey Waterproof Composite Toe Hiking Boots
- Best Budget For Winter Weather: XPETI Men’s Thermator Mid-Rise Lightweight Hiking Insulated Non-Slip Outdoor Boots
Affiliate Link Disclosure
Some of the links on here are affiliate links and I may earn if you click on them, AT NO EXTRA cost to you. Hope you find the information here useful! Thanks.
- Work Boots vs. Hiking Boots: Which Ones Do You Need?
- 13 Barefoot Hiking Boots That Are Super Comfy In 2022!
- 21 Best Hiking Boots for Flat Feet Women (Super Comfy!) 2022
- 11 Best Hiking Boots for Under 100 dollars In 2022 (Comfy!)
- 11 Best Women’s Snowboarding Boots [2022 Guide]
- Hiking Boots Size: 9 Tips To Find Your Perfect Fit!
- Are Hiking Boots Necessary? Answer from Personal Experience!
- Are Hiking Boots Good For Snow? Question Answered+ My Favourite!
Differences Between Hiking Boots, Work Boots, and Walking Shoes
There are noticeable differences between hiking and walking shoes, and differences between hiking boots and work boots.
Here are some factors to look at when considering these differences.
|Hiking Boots||Work Boots||Walking Shoes|
|Durability||Moderate durability.||Most durable for rough wear and tear in harsh working conditions, i.e. construction sites.||Moderate durability as it is designed more for comfort.|
|Traction||Best traction for various terrains.||Sufficient traction.||Sufficient traction for everyday walks.|
|Flexibility||Slightly flexible to absorb shock.||Not flexible. It has thick and stiff rubber soles for protection.||Most flexible for maximum comfort.|
|Weight||Lighter than work boots reduce burden for long hikes.||Heaviest due to added protection, i.e. steel toe box.||Lightest in order to reduce stress from long walks.|
Among the three, work boots are the most durable. This is because it is necessary for tough and rough wear in harsh conditions, especially at construction sites.
Work boots are designed to protect from various hazards in the workplace, especially construction hazards.
Hiking boots have moderate durability in various elements like the weather but this depends on the specification of the boots.
More often than not hiking boots are waterproof or water-resistant to prevent the boots from being soaked after walking through a stream.
Walking shoes have moderate durability because they are designed for comfortable walking and not so much for heavy usage.
Hiking boots have the best traction. They are created to be able to be used on various terrains during hiking to have grip.
This is to reduce the potential risk of falling or sprained ankle. As such, it is important to have great traction on your hiking boots.
Work boots on the other hand have sufficient traction needed for everyday walks.
EVA insoles are normally used in hiking boots which are light and flexible. It provides comfort and anti-fatigue as it absorbs shock.
Work boots are not flexible. It is designed with a thick and stiff rubber sole to provide protection and reduce the risk of nail puncture. As compared to walking shoes, it is the most flexible among the rest to provide maximum comfort.
In comparison, hiking boots are lighter than work boots but it provides sufficient protection to the ankles, joints, and bones during hikes. Whereas the work boots are the heaviest among all as work boots must have a steel toe box or at least a composite toe box for added protection against various hazards.
The lightest would be the walking shoes as it is designed for walking comfort and reduces the weight and stress from long walks.
Requirements Of Hiking Boots For Work
When you ask, are hiking boots good for work, and you are considering using your hiking boots for work, there are several things to think about. Firstly, what is the level of protection that you need?
Working boots are usually worn to prevent and protect against hazards at the work site. As such, it is important to know what you are protecting your feet from.
Whether you need the boots to work in favor of comfort, water resistance, protection against impact, compression, electrical shock, nail puncture, or something else.
Would you need more comfort or anti-fatigue for standing on your feet for several hours a day, or do you need ankle protection?
If you want comfort and anti-fatigue, look for boots that have EVA insoles. And if you need protection against impact, and compression then look for boots that have a steel toe box or composite toe box.
As for protection against nail puncture, you need a boot that has thick rubber soles that can prevent the puncture through your feet.
Hiking Boots That Are Good For Work
1. Carhartt Men’s Oxford Black Lightweight Hiker SteelToe CMO3251 Industrial Boot
These Carhartt boots look like any normal hiking boots and are a great hiking boot for work. It comes with a steel safety toe that meets the ASTM F2413-18 standards. This means that not only is this boot great for hiking, but it is also great for work.
This synthetic-made boot provides great protection against impact and compression hazards as well as electrical hazards.
- Lightweight with nylon mesh and premium synthetic materials
- Has great support with the CMEVA midsole and dual foam Insite Technology insole
- Protects against impact, compression, electrical, and chemical hazard
- No foot plate prevents stepping on nails
- Not wide enough, as it said in the by consumers that it is slightly narrow. It may not be suitable for wide feet
2. Irish Setter Work Men’s Afton Hiker 83410 Steel Toe Work Boot
These boots from Irish Setter are made with a hiker-style steel toe with a suede and abrasion-resistant mesh together with a removable EVA insole.
This makes the boot comfortable and safe. The steel toe can keep your toes safe at work from various hazards.
- The safety toe box protects against a variety of workplace hazards under the ASTM F2413 standard
- EVA insole that provides comfort, flexibility and absorbs shock
- Quest Outsole provides cushioning and traction on multiple terrains
- Not weatherproof
- Not long-lasting
- Can be quite stiff due to the steel safety toe
3. Carhartt Men’s Lightweight Wtrprf Mid-Height Work Hiker Carbon Nano Safety Toe Cmh4480 Industrial Boot
These hiking boots have a rubber sole and are made out of a mixture of leather and textile. It protects from electrical hazards and the safety toe box meets the requirement under the ASTM F2413-18 EH standards.
What this means is that this boot has met the minimum requirement to provide protection against various workplace hazards – impact resistance and compression resistance.
- Carbon nano safety toe
- Arc support footbeds that reduce foot fatigue
- Lack of flexibility
- It may be hot after long wear as it is waterproof thus making it not breathable
4. Kodiak Women’s 6-Inch Journey Waterproof Composite Toe Hiking Boots
Best For Women
This Kodiak boot is a tough one that has protection, comfort, and water and oil resistance all in one. It has a removable PU insole that can absorb shock as well as provide comfort. Made of full-grain waterproof leather that comes with ROCKFIBRE® METAL FREE composite toe.
- Oil resistant and electric shock resistant
- Composite safety toe with a reinforced abrasion-resistant rubber toe cap for better durability
- There are options of wide or normal feet. This would be a great option for people with wide feet
- Not very long-lasting
- Might take a while to break in as the material is quite hard
- Not entirely waterproof, might get wet through the tongue of the boots
5. NORTIV 8 Men’s Ankle High Waterproof Hiking Boots Outdoor Lightweight Shoes Trekking Trails
Best Hiking Work Boots For Men
Nortiv 8 boot is a high-quality hiking boot that provides comfort and protection. It comes with a rubber sole, EVA midsoles, and has a waterproof coating and membrane.
It is great for work but be careful if your work is at the construction site as it does not have a steel or composite safety toe.
These are great hiking work shoes for minimum work hazard that you may want to consider.
- Lightweight and durable
- A flexible insole that can reduce feet fatigue
- Protects from electrical hazards
- The safety toe is not a steel toe, it is just a rubber-covered toe
- Water-resistance does not last
- Reviews mentioned that the grip of the boots is reduced on wet terrains
6. NORTIV 8 Men’s Military Tactical Work Boots Hiking Motorcycle Combat Boots
This is a tactical hiking boot that can be used for work as it is durable and comes with a 3-sole system (shock-absorbent, flexible, abrasion-resistant). It is perfect for daily activities be it work or hiking. It provides comfort and adequate protection for light work.
- Protection against ankle injury
- Slip-resistant and has great grip on various outdoor terrain
- The linen insole makes the boot breathable as well as keeps your feet dry
- No safety toe box
- Takes some time to break in and be more comfortable
- The zipper by the ankle may rub against the skin
7. Reebok Men’s Trailgrip Safety Toe Athletic Work Hiker with Cushguard Internal Met Guard
Here’s another boot that can be used as hiking work shoes as it has a look and feel of a hiking boot. It comes with a CrushGuard which is essentially protection fitted on the tongue of the boot that can provide certain protection for work hazards.
- Breathable and lightweight
- Comes with MemoryTech foam insoles which are comfortable
- Protection of your metatarsal bones from impact
- No padding inside at the steel toe
- Steel plate on the tongue takes time to get used to
- The wide size has a narrow toe box, not suitable for wider feet
8. Timberland PRO Men’s Hyperion 6 Inch XL Alloy Safety Toe Waterproof Industrial Hiker Work Boot
Best For A Splurge
Are Timberland boots good for work? Yes, Timberland is a well-known brand that is reliable to provide protection and safety for all working conditions. They have various degrees of protection be it against electrical, impact, compression, and sharp hazards.
Timberland boots are normally 100% leather and have a safety toe box that provides sufficient protection depending on your needs.
- Waterproof equipped with EVA insole that reduces foot fatigue
- Equipped with composite safety toe box for added protection
- Lack of arch support
- Needs breaking in to make the boots more comfortable
9. Thorogood Men’s Crosstrex Series – BBP Waterproof Mid Hiker With Safety Toe Boot
This hiking boot has waterproof properties with a composite shank and safety toe. That would mean that these hiking shoes is good for work too. It is great for any weather, various terrains, and rough work.
- Lightweight waterproof boot
- Comes with a composite shank for added protection at work
- Has removable PU insoles to provide comfort for a long day
- Warm and not breathable
10. Thorogood Men’s Crosstrex Series – 6″ BBP Waterproof, Side Zip Composite Safety Toe Hiker Boot
This Crosstrex is made of leather and mesh mix that has waterproof properties. Which comes with a composite shank and safety toe box to help protect against various hazards.
- Removable insoles
- Composite shank and safety toe box
- Due to its waterproof properties, it is warm and not breathable
- Not very long-lasting
11. XPETI Men’s Thermator Mid-Rise Lightweight Hiking Insulated Non-Slip Outdoor Boots
Best Budget For Winter Weather
This mid-rise hiking boot has a rubber sole with Thinsulate insulation that is great for the cold weather. It is also designed with the X-DRY technology to prevent moisture and keeps your feet dry.
On top of that, the outsole on these boots comes with 7mm multi-directional lugs and provides a higher-traction grip which is best for wintertime when it is slippery.
- Has anti-slip properties
- Warm with the Thinsulate insulation
- EVA Midsole that reduces feet fatigue
- Too narrow for wide feet
- Stiff and takes a while to break-in
12. Carolina Boots: Men’s Waterproof Composite Toe Hiking Boots CA5520
Here’s a sturdy-looking boot that comes with a composite toe box. Not only would it reduce foot fatigue with the EVA insoles, but it also has great arch support. This makes them great hiking boots for work.
The boots come with an ASTM F2413-11 standard certification which proves that it protects against puncture, and electrical shocks.
- Has safety composite toe box
- EVA insoles prevent foot fatigue
- Needs time to break-in
- Slightly not breathable
13. Irish Setter Work Women’s Crosby Nano Toe 83214 Boot
This women boots is lightweight and is made out of a mixture of leather and synthetic material that comes with a rubber sole. It is equipped with a safety toe that meets the ASTM F2413-11 standards for prevention of impact and compression.
- Has safety toe box
- Suitable for wide foot
- Not insulated, not suitable for cold weather
- Slightly not breathable
FAQs On Are Hiking Boots Good for Work
Can You Wear Hiking Boots For Work?
Yes, you can wear hiking boots for work. It also depends on the workload and whether you would require extra protection against impact, compression, or electrical or chemical hazards. Recommended to find the right boots that can accommodate your working environment.
Are Hiking Boots Good For Everyday Use?
Ever wondered if hiking boots are good for everyday use? Yes, they are good for everyday use and can be worn every day. Especially if you walk a lot or stand a lot, it provides better protection and has better insoles that can prevent foot fatigue after a long day out. On top of that, you can go from leisure to outdoor activity like hiking for instance.
Can You Wear Hiking Shoes As Regular Shoes?
Can you wear hiking shoes as regular shoes? Absolutely, you can wear hiking shoes as regular shoes every day. It has better comfort and protection as compared to a regular shoe. Furthermore, hiking shoes have better traction and grip on various terrains. Which would make it safer compared to regular shoes.
Are Work Boots Good For Hiking?
Are work boots good for hiking? Work boots are ok for hiking but make sure that the sole of the boots have the appropriate grip for the hiking terrain. However, do be reminded that some work boots come with a steel safety toe box which can be a little bit too stiff for long hikes. It would be best to get slightly more flexible work boots to wear for hiking.
Before considering wearing hiking boots to work and purchasing a new boot be it hiking or working boots. First, you must identify your needs, the environment you will be in, and the protection you require. Getting the right boots will protect you when you need them the most.
If you are using hiking boots just for light work with minimal hazards, then hiking boots are good for work. You should always find the right boots that fit your feet’s needs.
Other Related Posts