Can you take hiking sticks on a plane? Yes, you can take hiking sticks on a plane. According to TSA, you can’t bring hiking sticks as carry ons but you can bring them in your checked luggage
But, you must know the proper way to carry them. The TSA (Travel Security Administration) has issued clear directions regarding carrying hiking sticks on a plane.
Bringing hiking sticks on a plane is naturally a big question in the minds of hikers who are flying to their hiking destinations.
Today WWB guestposter Nitin Khaire will share how you can take hiking sticks on a plane. I trust that you will have a clear and full answer to your question by the time you finish reading this post.
Here is a summary of what I will cover today :
1. How can you take hiking sticks on a plane
2. Do you have to check in hiking sticks?
3. Tricks when traveling with hiking sticks
4. Can you take hiking sticks on a plane? / TSA rules
5. What type of hiking sticks can you take on an airplane
6. How to pack your hiking sticks for a plane ride
7. Luggage rules outside of the United States
8. Ultimately, the airline decides – can you take hiking sticks on a plane?
9. What are hiking sticks?
10. What are the benefits of using hiking sticks?
As we have seen above, you can take hiking sticks on a plane but with certain caveats. Most of the time, It has to go in the checked luggage. You will have to carry the right type of hiking sticks and pack them properly.
It depends on the airline authorities to use their discretion to allow or ban hiking sticks on the plane.
Affiliate Link Disclosure
Some of the links here are affiliate links, and I may earn if you click on them, AT NO EXTRA cost to you. I hope you find the information here useful! Thanks!
- The 15 Best Hiking Jackets For Women
- The Best 15 Hiking Gifts
- Can You Wear Hiking Shoes Everyday?
- 21 Types of Hikers : Which One Are You and Why It Matters!
How Can You Take Hiking Sticks On A Plane?
1. Pack the sticks in your checked baggage. The airlines will not confiscate them and you can use them while on your trip.
2. If you’re flying business class, ask the airline staff if they can store the sticks in the overhead bin. This is not always possible, but often they will be able to accommodate you.
3. If you’re flying first class, ask the airline staff if they can store the sticks in a special bag. Most of them will say yes, but again it’s not always possible.
4. Take the sticks with you on the plane. This is not allowed by all airlines, but if the airline staff is willing to make an exception, they will usually do it.
Do You Have To Check-In Hiking Sticks?
Hiking sticks can be a great tool to have while hiking, but do you need to check-in hiking sticks in, at the airport? The answer is it depends on the airport.Some airports will require you to check in your hiking sticks, while others will allow you to keep them with you.
To avoid any issues, it is best to check with the airport ahead of time.
However, if you are using poles that have metal tips, you may need to remove these tips before going through airport security. Otherwise, the metal tips could set off the alarm while going through airport security.
Tricks When Traveling With Hiking Sticks
When traveling with hiking sticks, there are a few tricks to make life a little easier.
- If you’re checking your sticks as baggage, remove the rubber tips and replace them with metal ones. This will keep the ends from getting bent or damaged in transit.
- Coil the straps up and attach them to the top of the sticks so they don’t get tangled or lost.
Tricks To Help You Get The Most Out Of Your Hiking Sticks
When traveling with hiking sticks, it is important to be aware of how you can use them to make your journey easier. Here are 10 such tricks:
1. If you are traveling on flat ground, use your hiking sticks as poles to help you maintain balance. This will also take some of the stress off your knees.
2. When ascending or descending hills, use your hiking sticks as levers to increase your power and help you move more quickly.
3. If you are crossing a stream or river, use your hiking sticks as stabilizers to keep you from slipping on the wet surface.
4. When camping, use your hiking sticks as tent poles or for added support when setting up your shelter.
5. When you are crossing rough terrain, use your hiking sticks to help ease the pressure on your knees.
6. If you want to cook food over a fire or in a campfire, use your hiking sticks as holders for your pots.
7. When you are climbing a steep hill, use your hiking sticks as levers to help you pull yourself upward.
8. When ascending or descending stairs, use your hiking sticks as steps to help you move more quickly.
9. When you need to hold something, use your hiking sticks as makeshift handles.
Can You Take Hiking Sticks On A Plane-TSA (Transportation Security Administration) Rules
Does TSA allow hiking poles on a plane? The good news is that, as of right now, there are no specific TSA hiking poles rules or regulations. However, that doesn’t mean that they won’t start implementing them in the future.
In the meantime, here are some tips to help make sure that your hiking stick doesn’t get held up at security:
- Make sure that your hiking stick is clearly labeled as a “hiking stick”.
- Don’t bring a hiking stick that has a sharp point or spike on the end.
- Remove any sharp edges from your hiking stick before going through security.
- Inspect the tip of your hiking stick for loose or missing parts.
- If you’re traveling with an extremely large hiking stick, consider checking it as luggage instead of carrying it on your person.
What Type Of Hiking Sticks Can You Take On A Plane?
The type of hiking sticks you can take on a plane should be no more than 22 inches long and weigh no more than 2 pounds as most airlines allow this. There are a few different types of hiking sticks that fit within these restrictions. So it’s important to know which type is best for you.
One option you have are telescoping hiking sticks. These sticks can be collapsed down to a small size for packing, and they extend when you need them.
They’re ideal for hikers who like to keep their gear to a minimum, since they don’t take up much space in your bag. However, they can be less sturdy than other types of hiking sticks.
How To Pack Your Hiking Sticks For A Plane Ride
If you’re planning on packing your hiking sticks for a plane ride, there are a few things you need to keep in mind.
- First, check with the airline to see if they have any restrictions on what type of items can be carried on the plane.
- Next, measure the length of your hiking sticks and make sure they will fit inside your carry-on bag or backpack.
- If they’re too long, you can always remove the rubber tips or saw off a few inches from each stick.
- Finally, pack your hiking sticks in between layers of clothing or other soft items in your bag to protect them from getting damaged.
Luggage Rules For Hiking Sticks Outside The United States
The airline industry is a complex and ever-changing business. Regulations on what can and cannot be taken on board an airplane vary by airline, destination, and even time of year.
Most importantly, the safety of the passengers and crew is always the number one priority. With that in mind, some items are typically not allowed on planes, such as knives or firearms.
Hiking sticks on airplanes are another item that sometimes sparks confusion among passengers.
Can you bring hiking poles on a plane?
The answer to that question is: it depends.
Each airline has its own set of rules about what is and isn’t allowed on board their planes.
Thus, it is advised to check with the airlines at the time of booking the tickets itself whether hiking sticks are allowed.
- Can You Bring trekking poles on Delta?
According to Delta, hiking or trekking poles are allowed when packaged properly, in accordance with TSA regulations and subject to standard checked bag allowance.
- Can You Bring trekking poles on United Airlines?
United Airlines does not specify hiking poles or trekking poles on its website. Thus, it is safe to assume that they follow TSA rules for hiking poles. TSA does allow hiking poles if they are packed in the check-in baggage.
- Can You Bring trekking poles on American Airlines?
American Airlines do not specify Hiking sticks on its website.They do mention that sports equipment of specific dimensions can be carried in the checked bags.
Any sports item not specifically mentioned and not prohibited will be charged standard checked bag fees up to 50 lbs / 23kgs and 126 in / 320 cm (oversize fees don’t apply)
- Can You Bring trekking poles on British Airways?
Are Collapsible Hiking Sticks Allowed On Airplanes?
Typically, collapsible hiking sticks are allowed on airplanes, as long as they meet the size requirements – which usually means they must be able to fit in your carry-on bag, and don’t pose a threat to other passengers or crew members.
When traveling outside of the United States with your hiking sticks, there are a few things you need to keep in mind.
Different countries have different luggage rules and regulations, so it is important to do your research before you leave.
Generally, any items that are considered to be weapons or that could be used for smuggling purposes are prohibited. This includes items such as knives, firearms, and drugs.
It is best to check with the customs officials in the country you are traveling to. This will ensure that you are aware of all of the restrictions that apply.
In addition, customs officials may ask you to provide proof that your hiking sticks are for recreational use and not for hunting or self-defense. If you can’t provide this proof, they may confiscate your hiking sticks.
One way you can prove this is by providing them with a list of hotels/motels that you have booked. Another way would be to show them your itinerary which does not have any hunting destinations.
Ultimately, The Airline Decides
So, Can you take a walking stick on a plane? Ultimately, it’s up to the airline.
Some airlines allow passengers to bring hiking sticks on board as part of their carry-on, while others do not. It’s important to check with your airline before you pack your hiking sticks in your luggage.
If your airline does allow you to bring hiking sticks on the plane, make sure they are properly packed and placed in an overhead bin or under the seat in front of you.
What Are Hiking Sticks?
Hiking sticks are lightweight, collapsible walking sticks that can be used to support the weight of the person using them. They’re typically made of wood or aluminum and range in length from 20 to 60 inches.
How Do You Use Hiking Sticks?
- Hiking sticks are used by hikers to help them maintain their balance while hiking.
- They can be used to steady the person using them while walking.
- Hiking sticks support their weight while climbing a steep slope or when they’re in a weakened condition.
Here is a YouTube video that explains exactly how to use hiking sticks:
Are Hiking Sticks Safe?
Hiking sticks are safe for use in public places and can be used by anyone of any age. They’re typically made from lightweight materials, which means that they may not provide the same sort of support as traditional walking sticks.
There are various types of hiking poles that you can find online. REI hiking poles are available at reasonable rates on the Rei co-operative shop online.
There are many different types of hiking poles Here are a few that you may find interesting:
2. Foxelli Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles – Collapsible, Lightweight, Shock-Absorbent, Hiking, Walking & Running Sticks with Natural Cork Grips, Flip Locks, 4 Season/All Terrain Accessories and Carry Bag
We recommend the Cascade Mountain Tech Trekking Poles for the following reasons
- Made with lightweight aluminum, the trekking poles are durable and can withstand rugged conditions.
- The cork handles are comfortable to grip, even when wet, and the straps ensure a secure fit
- The poles feature anti-shock springs that absorb shock from bumps and impacts, reducing strain on the body
- These poles are compact and durable so hikers can carry them easily. They are easily foldable too.
- An accessories kit is included to tackle any weather so that you can enjoy your hiking.
- It has a 4.6 star rating on Amazon and 17312 ratings/reviews at the time of this writing.
What Are The Benefits Of Using Hiking Sticks?
- A hiking stick can be extremely helpful in stabilizing yourself on steep or uneven terrain. This is especially important if you are carrying a heavy pack on your back.
- A hiking stick can also help to distribute the weight of your pack more evenly, which can be very helpful on long hikes.
- In addition to providing stability and distributing weight, a hiking stick can also help you move more quickly and easily over rough terrain. This is especially true if you are hiking in areas that have an abrasive surface.
I do not recommend using a hiking stick when hiking on a smooth trail or during a backpacking trip. When hiking on a smooth trail, you don’t really need hiking sticks as they are an extra burden. On a backpacking trip, hiking sticks occupy both your hands so it can actually be a disadvantage.
You may prefer to have your hands free on a backpacking trial. Again, it’s a matter of preference. If you are comfortable with having the walking sticks then please go ahead and carry them.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Bring A Wooden Stick On A Plane?
YES, you can bring a walking stick on a plane. Airlines tend to let passengers carry a walking stick onto planes with them when necessary. For security reasons, you should either be able to collapse the walking stick and fit it under your seat or fold it up and fly it in the overhead bin.
Can You Take A Walking Stick On A Ryanair Flight?
Can you take a walking stick on a Ryanair flight? Ryanair does not have a specific policy regarding the use of walking sticks on their flights, and the decision is left up to the individual pilot.
Can You Take A Walking Stick On An Easyjet Flight?
YES, you can take a walking stick on an Easyjet flight, but with a few stipulations.
According to the Easyjet website, “You’re allowed to bring some extra things into the cabin. e.g. umbrella, overcoat, crutches, walking stick, one standard bag of goods bought at the airport.”
Can You Bring Hiking Spikes On A Plane?
Can you bring hiking spikes or crampons on a plane? Yes, you can bring hiking spikes on a plane, but there are some restrictions. They must be packed in your carry-on bag and they cannot be sharpened. You will also need to remove them before going through security.
Please make sure that your hiking sticks are properly packed and secured so that they don’t become a danger to you or other passengers during the flight. The main issue with carrying hiking poles on a plane is the security issue.
Hiking sticks can be a great help when hiking and they can also make hiking a pleasurable experience. So don’t forget to bring them along on your next trip after following the proper protocols.
So, can you take hiking sticks on a plane? Yes, as long as they are stored in your checked luggage.
Can you take hiking poles on a plane? Yes, however, it is always best to check with your airline beforehand to make sure that there are no restrictions or additional fees. Happy hiking!