Fruit picking jobs in Somerset, while you are on a summer holiday, doesn’t sound too bad, does it? You know it will help you gain a side income to extend your holiday, but you are unsure of how and where to start?
Fret not, for I have created the perfect guide to help answer all your questions and get you prepared to do some fruit picking in Somerset.
Somerset is famous for its berries(strawberries, blueberries), apples, plums, and many more. So, don’t worry as there are plenty of jobs for you as a fruit picker in Somerset.
Here are the questions this article will cover:
- Where To Find Fruit Picking Jobs In Somerset?
- Top Places In Somerset For Fruit Picking
- Why Pick Fruits in Somerset?
- How Much Does Fruit Picking Pay In Somerset?
- How Much Do Fruit Pickers Get Paid In The United Kingdom?
- Can Fruit Picking Be Done By Anyone?
- How Do I Know If I Am Eligible To Pick Fruit In Somerset?
- What Do You Wear To Pick Fruits In Somerset?
- Is There Accommodation Provided During Fruit Picking?
- Is Fruit Picking Hard Work?
So, shall we go ahead on this adventure?
Some of the links on here are affiliate links and I may earn if you click on them, AT NO EXTRA cost to you. Hope you find the information here useful! Thanks.
Where To Find Fruit Picking Jobs In Somerset?
There aren’t many fruit-picking jobs in Somerset and you may have to drive a little between 30-60 minutes away from Somerset to find fruit pickers jobs.
These are some options where you can scout out for these jobs.
- BritishSummerFruits is a one-pit stop site where you can find fruit-picking jobs around the United Kingdom. It has details for each farm where you can work.
- Besides that, if you are looking for a job with accommodation, WestNewton Farm provides it. Their wages are according to National Living Wage which is at £8.91($12.28)/hour.
- Hugh Lowe Farms is a little away from Somerset but they provide fruit pickers jobs specifically picking strawberries! They pay good rates too, around £400($551.08)/week. You may also check out Facebook groups.
- ProForce is a recruitment service where they will help you get a job with no fees which will help you find a job as a fruit picker a little easier.
- International Farm Camp is a one-stop site where you can apply for fruit pickers jobs and you may also check out their calendar to schedule your trip accordingly.
This is a PYO(pick your own) fruit farm. You may check out their page to see if they offer jobs as fruit pickers. This is a list of PYO(pick your own) fruit farms with fruits available at different months of the year.
- How To Start A Fruit Picking Job In the UK
- Fruit Picking Kent Jobs: A Practical Guide
- A Guide To Fruit Picking Jobs In Scotland
- A Guide to Fruit Picking Jobs In Australia
- How to Find The Best Grape Picking Jobs in France
- How to Travel the World and Make Money – Best Travel Jobs
Top Places In Somerset For Fruit Picking
On this farm, you will get to pick apples at a rate of £8.91($12.28)/hour. There are accommodations at the farm which you may pay £58.52($11.74)/week.
On this farm, you will be picking blueberries, apples, and kiwi berries! They pay you according to the National Living Wage which is at £8.91($12.28)/hour. Accommodations are provided in the form of mobile homes or hostels at £8.36($11.52)/day.
In this orchard, you will get to pick apples and pears for free. Check out the website to make appointments and see the available dates.
Why Pick Fruits in Somerset?
Fruit picking in Somerset is no doubt a challenging task. But there are benefits to it, so here are a few reasons why you should pick fruits in Somerset.
Did you know West Somerset was ranked in the top 10% of the most beautiful places in the UK? According to NBC News, working in natural scenery improves your mood and increases your productivity. Doesn’t that sound lovely?
Building New Friendships
If you are an introvert like me and are horrible at making new friends, this job would help you make some new friends. Fruit picking job always brings people from all walks of life together. You will be able to learn about other people’s cultures and create meaningful bonds.
Prevent Fruit From Going To Waste
Did you know that more than 50 million tonnes of fresh produce grown across Europe is discarded? Meaning in the UK alone, about a 4.5million of fruits and vegetables, are thrown away. Of course, there are multiple reasons for it, one of them being the lack of a fruit picker. Just knowing you are doing the world and community a favor by getting these seasonal fruits on their plate is encouragement by itself!
Earn Side Income
Somerset is surrounded by many orchards and farms that produce various crops such as apples, pears, strawberries, kiwi, and many more. So due to this, fruit picker’s jobs are always in high demand. They pay you quite well which I will explain further below.
Natural Mood Boosters
Now imagine you just went through a horrible breakup and would like a healthy distraction.
Why not try fruit picking in Somerset?
According to Forbes, working outdoors helps increase your happiness level which also acts as a stress relief.
Not only that, it helps reduce inflammation in your body which helps increase your immunity thus making you more energetic.
Fruit picking in the outdoors also helps improve memory.
How Much Does Fruit Picking Pay In Somerset?
Each farm has a different scheme of payment.
They either pay per hour or piece rates. As of April 2021, regardless of how long each person works, the farms are to pay their workers according to the National Minimum Wage or National Living Wage which depends on the worker’s age.
So the wages vary between £8.36($11.52)- £12($16.53). Piece rates pay you more if you can pick fruits in a large quantity, especially larger fruits, so choose your farms and fruits wisely.
Tips On How To Get Paid More Fruit Picking
- Firstly, learn which month produces what fruits and prepare accordingly.
- Watch the other pickers do their job and learn the best technique from them. Pick from the higher parts of a tree then come down so you won’t be carrying the load up which may make it more challenging for you.
- Check the weather forecast before choosing where to work so you are mentally prepared.
- Pick big fruits and use both hands so that more bins will be filled faster and earn you more money.
- Familiarise yourself with the techniques before heading over to the farm so you do not waste time trying to figure out how to pick them correctly.
How Much Do Fruit Pickers Get Paid In The United Kingdom?
- According to Express, fruit pickers are getting paid on an average of £6.56($9.04)-£8.91($12.28) depending on the age of the pickers.
- 18-20-year-olds can expect a minimum wage of £6.56($9.04)/hour.
- While young adults aged 21-22 are paid £8.36($11.52)/hour.
- Adults aged 23 and above are paid £8.91($12.28)/hour.
You can check out the calculator for workers provided by the United Kingdom government to ensure you are getting the correct minimum wage or even to confirm if an employer owes you payment from the previous year.
Can Fruit Picking Be Done By Anyone?
These are the few characteristics or qualities you should have to be able to do fruit picking in Somerset:
- Age: 18 and above. Some farms may provide you a different role on the field if you are between the age of 16-18.
- Experience: Not necessarily needed as training will be provided on the farm.
- Education: Anyone is allowed to apply for a job as a fruit picker regardless if you have an education or not.
- Healthwise: It definitely would be better if you are physically fit since the job mostly requires long hours and farms are usually looking for people who can work a full working week. Days and hours can vary by farm and according to the weather.
Besides that, this job normally requires you to be squatting or standing for long hours. And you must be able to carry heavy bags or baskets of fruits. So you should be physically fit!
How Do I Know If I Am Eligible To Pick Fruit In Somerset?
You will need to apply for a visa if you would like to do fruit picking jobs in Somerset. There are certain criteria you will have to meet before applying for a visa:
- You must be 18 and above while applying for this visa.
- Also have a certificate of sponsorship reference number from your UK sponsor which holds information about the job and some personal details
- You must also have enough money to support yourself in the UK – you’ll usually need to have at least £1,270($1749.68) available (unless you’re exempt)
- This visa will cost you £244($336.16) and you will need to apply online for it.
What Do You Wear To Pick Fruits In Somerset?
Picking fruits may require you to stand under the sun for long hours.
Here are some items you may check out to make the experience more comfortable:
- Comfortable long-sleeve pants and tops will be preferable to protect you from sunburns.
- A good pair of shoes may help with the long hours of standing on your feet too.
- This fruit picking bag will help with the carrying process of fruits.
- Fruit picking tools may help you reach high places which you may not be able to reach. Super handy tool!
Is There Accommodation Provided During Fruit Picking?
Certain farms do provide accommodation:
- Withers Farm provides accommodation in the form of hostel or mobile homes. Their daily accommodation charges are £8.36($11.52) per day. They also have multiple facilities like microwaves, laundry facilities, and showers.
- Broadwater Farm provides accommodation in portacabins. You will need to bring your own sleeping bag. Kitchen areas are communal and they provide washing machines too so you have a place to do your laundry. They charge you £58.52/week.
- WestNewton Farm accommodation consists of several converted barns on the farm. They provide you with cooking facilities, washing facilities, and a laundry room. They charge you £7.55($10.40)/day
If the farm you would like to work at does not provide accommodation, you can check out Couchsurfing where you will also find like-minded people.
Is Fruit Picking Hard Work?
Every job has its level of difficulty. Fruit picking is a challenging job too, no doubt.
But according to a fruit picker who mentioned in an article by MirrorNews that working on a farm becomes easier due to the environment and the people you work with.
It can be challenging due to the long-standing and working hours but there’s nothing a beautiful view and a good company can’t heal!
This is a little checklist I have created and if you have ticked most of the boxes if not all, then I would say fruit picking in Somerset is your job.
- Working long hours with a little break in between.
- Staying away from the city for a period meaning little entertainment.
- Wanting to make new friends, create meaningful discussions, and desire to learn about a new culture.
- Help save the world indirectly by picking fruits and not allowing them to rot.
- Earning extra income as a means to fund your holiday.
Fruit picking in Somerset is truly a one-of-a-kind experience.
The variety of farms within a 30-60 vicinity pays you quite well since employers must pay their workers with the National Minimum Wage or National Living Wage.
Besides that, accommodations are provided on most farms at affordable prices. You would like to spend your holidays doing something physically useful while making new friends? I would say this is your job!