Are you currently searching for fruit picking jobs UK but unsure exactly how to find one?
Perhaps in your mind, you have been asking these questions, where should I start? Is the job tough? Is the pay good?
Also you probably have been reading this because you are like me. Therefore you wish to explore wondrous Britain in a year or so, and you need extra cash to fund your journey.
Well, I have got you covered!
This fruit picking jobs UK guide will provide you with everything you need to know to find fruit picking jobs UK.
Here is the summary of what you will learn in this article:
- All The Places To Find Fruit Picking Jobs UK
- Why Should You Try Fruit Picking?
- What Are The Requirements To Get Fruit Picking Jobs UK?
- How To Find Fruit Picking Jobs UK?
- What Quantity Of Money Do Fruit Pickers Get Paid In The UK?
- How Old Do You Have To Be To Pick Fruit In The UK?
- How Many Fruit Pickers Needed In The UK?
- Typical Hours Of Work For Fruit Picking In The UK
- What Kind Of Work You Will Be Doing?
- What Month Are Apple Ready To Pick In The UK?
- When Can You Go Strawberry Picking In The UK?
- Tips On Securing Fruit Picking Jobs In The UK
Some of the links on here are affiliate links and I may earn if you click on them, AT NO EXTRA cost to you. Hope you find the information here useful! Thanks.
Yoo, hoo! Quick question. Do you want to maximise your trip and save money on your trip? Sounds like you need to plan ahead O_O
But planning for a trip takes AGES! How an earth are you going to remember everything and organise it all? You just want to focus finding all the best fruit picking jobs in the UK, amirite?
OK – problem solved with this super super savvy Essential Travel Planner. There is an accomodation detail and research sheet, best places to stay, eat ,see, what to pack and outfit and activities checklists .. just to name a few!
Related Posts on Fruit Picking:
- Fruit Picking Kent Jobs: A Practical Guide
- Fruit Picking Jobs In Somerset [An Essential Guide]
- A Guide To Fruit Picking Jobs In Scotland
- Canada Fruit Picking Jobs – A Complete Guide
- Learn All About Fruit Picking Jobs In Norway!
All The Places To Find Fruit Picking Jobs In The UK
Before I go further into this topic, let me share all the places to find fruit picking jobs in the UK.
Fruit Picking Jobs In London
Have you ever thought about picking fruits like strawberry picking in London?
We all know that London is a big city where you experience the hustle and bustle of city life. The city itself is not lavish with fruit farms, but its neighbouring counties are.
Most of the fruit farms near London are within an hour drive outside London, such as Kent, Surrey, Essex, etc.
If you are thinking of doing fruit picking in London, those are the places you should look for fruit picking jobs.
So, here are some of the vacancies for fruit picking near London that I have listed for you to check out:
Fruit Picking Jobs Kent
Most of the companies listed support pick for Britain jobs in Kent.
Fruit Picking Jobs Essex
Fruit Picking Jobs Surrey
Fruit Picking Jobs In Southern UK
You will be happy to know that the Southern UK has plenty of fruit picking jobs waiting for you to grab.
They are well known for growing various fruits due to the region’s great combo of low rainfall and a good level of sunlight. Consequently, a climate that is ideal for growing fruit trees.
Hence, many fruit farmers in this region require new hires to work at their farms.
If you are interested in discovering more about fruit picking job opportunities in the Southern UK, click on some of the options below to find out:
Fruit Picking Jobs Hampshire
Fruit Picking Jobs Berkshire
Fruit Picking Jobs Hertfordshire
Fruit Picking Jobs Cornwall
Fruit Picking Jobs in Devon
Fruit Picking Jobs in Dorset
- Trehane Nursery – This is a PYO (pick your own) farm. They may or may not have seasonal fruit picking jobs offered.
Other than those listed above, you may also try to find fruit picking jobs in Wiltshire, West Sussex, Somerset, Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire, and Gloucestershire.
Fruit Picking Jobs In Midlands UK
The Midlands in the UK is also a fantastic location for you to look for fruit picking jobs.
They are very well-known for their apple, pear, and berries, especially in Herefordshire, West Midlands.
The best thing about Midlands UK is that it is rich with the cultural heritage of the industrial revolution and stunning countryside to explore.
Hence, making it a perfect place for you to earn money. And at the same time learning about their history and culture.
Did you know that William Shakespeare was born somewhere in Midlands UK?
Oh yes, he was born in Stratford-Upon-Avon, a market town in the West Midlands.
Sounds exciting, right?
Then, some of the jobs below might be an excellent place for you to apply:
Fruit Picking Jobs Herefordshire
Fruit Picking Jobs Nottinghamshire
Fruit Picking Jobs Leicestershire
- Grange Farm – This is a PYO (pick your own) farm. They may or may not have seasonal fruit picking jobs offered.
Fruit Picking Jobs Staffordshire
Fruit Picking Jobs Norfolk
Fruit Picking Jobs Suffolk
Fruit picking jobs in Shropshire
- Bearstone Fruit Farm – This is a PYO (pick your own) farm. They may or may not have seasonal fruit picking jobs offered.
Fruit Picking Jobs Northern UK, Scotland and Wales
Thoughts on fruit picking in a colder climate? Then look for fruit picking jobs in Northern UK, Scotland, and Wales.
They have a reputation for producing rhubarb and soft fruits like berries which are great for berry lovers.
Also, they are famous for beautiful mountains, highlands, and breathtaking countryside.
If you want to enjoy the lovely nature of this part of the region, with a slice of berries pie in a pleasantly warm summer, here are some of the spots you can try to get for fruit picking jobs:
Fruit Picking Jobs Lancashire
Fruit Picking Jobs Yorkshire
Fruit Picking Jobs Scotland
Fruit Picking Jobs Wales
Other Alternative To Find Fruit Picking Jobs In The UK
In addition to the places that I have listed above, you can also search for fruit picking jobs in the UK using these sites:
- British Summer Fruits Sites
- Berry World
- IFC Tunested
- Summer Field Work
- G’s Fresh
- Agricultural Recruitment Specialist
- Pick For Britain
- Job search sites such as Indeed.com, Jooble
- Finding a job using a government site
- Facebook groups
Related Posts on Fruit Picking:
A Brief Guide To Fruit Picking Jobs In Japan
Your Guide To Finding The Best Fruit Picking Jobs In Switzerland
Your Guide To Finding The Best Fruit Picking Jobs In Tasmania
Your Guide To Finding The Best Fruit Picking Jobs In New Zealand
Fruit Picking Jobs With Accommodation UK
If you are looking for fruit picking jobs with accommodation in the UK, most of the places listed above offer accommodation to their workers.
Some employers may charge you for accommodation, while some may not. If they do charge, it will range from GBP50 (USD69) to GBP70 (USD97) per week.
For further details on the accommodation, you may check with the individual farm.
So, now that you know where to find all the fruit picking jobs in the UK. Let us move on to why fruit picking is something you should try.
Bring a warm Pull Over Jumper with you that is light and easy to carry and easy to put on and take off for cold mornings and hot afternoons.
Why Should You Try Fruit Picking?
Fruit picking is known for its tough jobs. However, despite all that, there are plenty of benefits in terms of health, psychological well being and financial gain that you get from fruit picking.
Here are the five reasons why should you try fruit picking:
- Breathtaking Outdoors
Imagine yourself fruit picking in the UK in a summer breeze with stunning scenery around you. Feels so good right?!
Studies have shown that working in an outdoor environment helps in boosting energy and increasing positive engagement. Hence, reduce the tension of depression and stress.
Even a short interval of working outside can enhance your health and happiness.
So, compared to working indoors, picking fruits in the beautiful sunny outdoors can bring better benefits to your well-being.
- Encourage You To Move
Our bodies are designed for moving. Therefore, regularly moving your body helps in increasing your healthy longevity.
Instead of sitting in front of your PC all day, picking fruits helps to encourage you to move your body.
By moving your body, you strengthen your muscle, improving stability, balance, coordination, including building denser and sturdy bones.
A sure fantastic way for you to build a healthy and fit body.
- Building Wonderful Relationships
Picking fruits tends to bring people together. Many fruit pickers in the UK come from different parts of the world.
Hence, it is an opportunity to make new friends and learn about their different cultures.
Apart from that, you can create enjoyable memories with them, which helps enhance happiness between you and them.
- Helps Prevent Fruits From Going Waste
In 2020, as reported by Al Jazeera, about one-third of fruit produced in the UK will go to waste if there are no workers to harvest them due to the border closure.
Therefore, by working as fruit pickers, you increase the percentage of preventing the fruit from going to waste.
As a result, you are helping the nation from facing harvest loss.
- An Incredible Way To Finance Your Travel
If you opt for a nomadic lifestyle, fruit picking is an excellent choice.
Besides making new friends and being fit, fruit picking can be a lifesaver to a broke traveller.
It is an incredible way for you to finance your travel journey as there is plenty of work available with no experience required.
You will either spend a little or hardly spend a penny while working picking fruits.
Thus, you will end up earning and saving a good amount of money that helps you get to your next destination.
Get a pair of Sturdy Neoprene Outdoor Boots to keep your feet warm and dry during cold and wet seasons.
What Are The Requirements To Get Fruit Picking Jobs In The UK?
Generally, as long as you meet the following requirements, you will be working on a farm in no time:
- Healthy with a certain level of fitness
- Eligible to work in the UK
- Willing to work in a physically demanding environment
- Have a strong commitment and positive attitude
Experience is not required. Farm employers will provide all the training you need. Yet, it will be an advantage if you have them.
Do You Need A UK Bank Account?
Yes, you will probably need a UK bank account to work as a fruit picker in the UK.
Most of the farm employers will pay your wages by wiring them directly through your bank account.
For that reason, it is safe to check with each farm whether you require to prepare a UK bank account beforehand.
Pretty convenient, right? Great for fruit pickers who currently live outside the UK.
Visa Or Work Permit Requirement
A relevant work permit is required to be eligible to work in the UK as an international worker.
So here are options of visa or work permit that you are required to get fruit picking jobs in the UK.
Three types of visas for non-EU citizens which allow you to get fruit picking jobs in the UK:
- Applicable to those who want to work in the UK for up to 6 months
- Must have a sponsor to apply. Any farm employers who have a valid Seasonal Workers Sponsor licence can be your sponsor. So, do check with the farm employer if they have such a licence to be your sponsor.
- Must have at least GBP1,270 (USD1,761) in your savings available for 28 days in a row to support yourself in the UK
- Applicable to youth from the age of 18 to 30 years old who wants to live and work in the UK for up to 2 years
- Only 9 countries are entitled to apply (Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Monaco, San Marino, Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan).
- Must have at least GBP2,530 (USD3,508) in your savings available for 28 days in a row to support yourself in the UK
- Applicable to those who want to stay and work in the UK for at least 2 years, after completing a course in the UK
- Must be in the UK when applying
- Must already have a Student Visa (T4)
EU Citizens Or Your Family Is From EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein
You are entitled to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme if you and your family members are from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein.
The scheme will give you settled or pre-settle status, which allows you to work, study, travel in the UK, and access public funds such as pensions for a continuous 5 year period.
It is an excellent option for those looking for other opportunities in the UK after the picking season finishes.
For most people, the deadline to apply for the scheme was 30 June 2021. However, you can still apply for it if you or your family members are living in the UK by 31 December 2020 with conditions.
Otherwise, you are required to apply for a visa as listed above.
How To Find The Right Fruit Picking Jobs In The UK?
When looking for picking jobs in the UK, consider looking for a farm that fits you best. Maybe look for a farm that grows fruit that you like.
Picking fruits can be fantastic money-making for most people, but it is also one of the most laborious jobs. So it is best to look for fruit picking jobs that suit you well so that you can make the most of it.
Here is what should you do to find the right picking jobs in the UK:
- Research What Fruits Are In Season
It is an advantage to know what fruits are in season beforehand. Picking seasons vary for each fruit because of the climate.
Thus, the findings will help you find the best season to pick your favourite fruits. You will also have the benefit of planning your upcoming itinerary.
- Find And List Up All The Picking Jobs Available
You already find the best season for picking fruits in the UK. Now is the time to look for all the picking jobs available.
You may start by looking at the jobs listed at the beginning of this article.
Do look at the local newspapers or billboards in the hotels, supermarkets, and pubs as well. Sometimes they do advertise some vacancies.
List at least five jobs that you are interested in to increase the chances of securing a job.
- Do A Thorough Research On The Jobs
It is essential to do thorough research on the jobs that you have found before applying.
Some of the questions that you need to include while researching the jobs are:
- Who are you working for?
- What is the business name?
- Is the business registered?
- How much will you get paid?
- What is the term of payments?
- What kind of jobs will you be doing?
- How long will you be working and what are the working hours?
- How are the working conditions?
- Are food and accommodation provided?
- Is own transportation required?
The research not only helps you decide the best fruit picking jobs in the UK for you. But it also helps in knowing your rights as a worker.
So, take your time and research thoroughly!
How Much Do Fruit Pickers Get Paid in the UK?
Well, the right amount depends on the types of fruit you pick, your productivity, and the employer who employs you.
Fruit picking jobs in the UK are paid based on a piece-rate system, where the higher your productivity (more fruits you pick), the more you will earn.
Even so, the rate must be in line with the national minimum wage (From 1 April 2021, GBP8.91 (USD12.18) per hour), where the rate changes on 1 April every year.
On average, you can earn between GBP350 (USD485) and GBP500 (USD693) per week subject to UK tax and National Insurance Contributions (NIC).
You may reclaim the tax when you leave the country (subject to individual circumstances and earnings).
How Old Do You Have To Be To Pick Fruit in the UK?
Most farms require you to be at least 18 years old to work on their farms. Yet, some farms do accept fruit pickers aged between 16 and 18 years old to their farm.
If your age is under 18 years old and you are not a British citizen, it is impossible to get fruit picking jobs in the UK legally, as most work visas are applicable for adults 18 years and above.
How Many Fruit Pickers Needed in the UK?
Around 70,000 to 90,000 fruit pickers are needed to pick fruits and vegetables that grow in the UK.
However, with the recent border closure and Brexit, the number of seasonal workers coming to the UK has dropped. Thus, it creates a massive hole in the number of fruit pickers in the UK.
One Kent-based farm reported that applications from seasonal workers decreased by 90 per cent causing fears for most farmers.
Thus, the government has created a Pick For Britain campaign to encourage the locals to pick fruits. Also, to help British workers who have lost jobs or get furloughed.
Some farmers have also increased their wages up to GBP20 (USD28) per hour to attract more workers to their farm. More than double the current minimum wage.
Mind-blowing! Boomtime for fruit pickers!
So, for those travelling to the UK and looking for jobs to fund their journey, this is the best time for you to get fruit picking jobs in the UK. Besides having a lot of job opportunities, you will get a pretty impressive wage.
Check these posts if you want to try fruit picking jobs in another location:
- How To Find The Best Grape Picking Jobs In France
- A Guide to Fruit Picking Jobs In Australia
- Fruit Picking Jobs in Adelaide (A Unique Guide)
- Essential Guide To Fruit Picking Jobs In Perth
- The Ultimate Guide to Fruit Picking Jobs in Queensland
- Fruit Picking Jobs In Brisbane [The Ultimate Guide]
What Are Fruit Picking Typical Hours Of Work In The UK?
Farms in the UK usually start picking fruit early in the morning and end it by mid-noon. Around 8 hours per day for 6-days a week.
They will avoid picking fruits in the afternoon since the weather can be pretty hot in summer. There is also overtime available at rates around GBP11 (USD15) per hour.
Packing is usually in shifts and can carry on until later in the day.
What Kind Of Work You Will Be Doing?
Fruit picking in the UK is not limited to picking fruits. It is a common term that refers to all the manual work in the agricultural industry.
The majority of the work you will be doing does not require any special skills or certification. However, there will be training provided by the farms.
The jobs include:
- Fruit picking: Outdoor fieldwork, which usually involves picking fruit from the trees or ground
- Fruit packing: The works involve sorting and packing fruit into punnets/boxes in the packhouse
- Plant Husbandry: The jobs involve planting, pruning, weeding, plant management, and maintenance
- Handling Machine: This involves handling machines such as forklift and tractor
What Month Are Apples Ready To Pick In The UK?
Most apples are usually ready to be picked in October.
However, depending on the apple varieties and weather conditions, the harvest can be earlier or delayed.
You may check this list of the most popular apple varieties in the UK with their average harvest time to guide you to estimate the harvest time for each apple.
How to know if an apple is ready to pick?
One way to know if the apple is ripe or not is by cupping an apple in your hand and twisting it. If it comes off easily, then it means the apple is ready.
Another way is by waiting for the apple to drop itself from the tree. But, please bear in mind, when apple trees shed their fruits early ( like in June), it does not mean the apples are ready.
Wearing a pair of Micro-Foam Coating Gloves will minimize the effect of bruising the fruit, as well as keep your hands warm in the chilly months of October.
When Can You Go Strawberry Picking In The UK?
The Strawberry harvesting season in Britain usually starts in early May and rounds off in June and July. Depending on the weather, the harvesting seasons can carry on until August and September.
British strawberries are widely known for their unique sweetness and taste.
If you are a big fan of strawberries you want to experience the fresh sweetness of the red strawberries, I suggest you try strawberry picking in the UK.
The country is rich with numerous strawberry farms throughout the UK. So you will find plenty of strawberry fruit picking jobs in the UK available for you to grab.
If you prefer to pick near London, there are jobs for strawberry picking near London you can find at the beginning of the article.
Tips on Securing Fruit Picking Jobs In The UK
The competition in the fruit picking industry, particularly in the UK is quite fierce since you will be competing with thousands of applicants. So, how can you secure the jobs?
Here are few recommended things that you can do in securing fruit picking jobs in the UK:
- Apply early. Timing is important in securing any job. So, applying early will help to increase your chances of getting the jobs that you seek. The best time to look for fruit picking jobs in the UK is one month before the kickoff of the harvesting season, which usually starts in early May.
- Ensure that you have provided all the necessary information. Your CV or application form is a crucial first impression to the recruiter. Hence, providing all the information will help you catch the recruiter’s attention.
- If there is any specific requirement, ensure you let them know you meet it. Furthermore, list all the relevant experiences. It will help you stand out from the crowd among the applicants.
- Ensure that you show them you have the attitude they want. The criteria most farm employers are looking for in fruit pickers is usually someone with a high positive attitude, commitment, and determination.
- Include proof of physical fitness in your application to boost the likelihood for you to get the job. For example, list a few physical activities that you partake in (like sports) or hobbies.
That’s it, folks! A complete guide on how to find fruit picking jobs in the UK.
Hopefully, this guide is very informative and helpful in finding the best fruit picking jobs in the UK.
If you have your own experiences of fruit picking in the UK, please share with us the tips and tricks that you learned – we would love to hear them.
Related Posts on Fruit picking jobs: