So you’ve googled “are bean boots good for hiking?” In short, YES, bean boots are good for hiking!
This is a question that many hikers have asked over the years. There seems to be some debate about it. Some people swear by them, and others say they are terrible for hiking.
But as an avid hiker and lover of bean boots, I can confirm, they are great for hiking!
The links on this page may be affiliate links, from which I earn a small commission if you click on them, AT NO EXTRA COST to you. Hope you find the information here useful. Thanks!
- 21 Best Hiking Boots for Flat Feet Women (Super Comfy!) 2022
- 13 Barefoot Hiking Boots for Minimalists and All Foot Types
- Are Steel Toe Boots Good For Hiking? 2022 Update
- Are Tactical Boots Good For Hiking?
- Are Sperry Boots Good for Hiking? [ANSWERED + My Favourite Boots!]
- Are Blundstones Good For Hiking? Facts And Answers 2022
What Are Bean Boots?
Well, bean boots are a type of boot that is used to keep your feet dry and warm in cold or wet conditions using a mixture of leather & rubber material that is water-resistant.
So if you are looking for a versatile boot to take on different types of terrain and weather conditions, then bean boots can be considered a decent option.
Originally, these boots were first created by L.L. (Leon Leonwood) Bean in 1912.
On average, a pair of bean boots by L.L. bean may cost somewhere around $100 (depending on its model). Yes, it can be quite pricey but only because it reflects great old workmanship.
Over the years, people became more aware and grew accustomed to these peculiar outdoor boots. Alternatively, there are also several newer brands such as Sperry & other companies that manufacture bean boots too.
Are Duck Boots Good For Hiking?
The answer is yes! Duck boots are good for hiking, especially for low and wet terrain.
Bean boots are also known as duck boots.
They are typically made from similar materials (i.e. rubber and leather) and have a thick sole that helps to prevent slipping.
Duck boots are usually popular among hunters, fishermen, and others who spend time outdoors in cold weather, thanks to their amazing features.
So, can you use duck boots for hiking? Yes you can!
Okay, so what are bean boots used for, actually?
Nowadays, bean boots are used and worn for various occasions such as outdoor walks, walking the dog, and even going to the grocery store.
In fact, bean boots have started to become a popular style of boot and are often used as a statement piece. (Check out how to get bean boots hipster look – even Kanye West seems to agree and included it in his collection!)
If you can wear bean boots for anything, have you ever wondered, “do bean boots have a lifetime warranty”?
Well, as of 9 February 2018, L.L. Bean has stopped enforcing its famous lifetime warranty policy.
But don’t be disheartened, as there is still a silver lining – L.L. Bean has also announced that if you are not 100% happy with one of their products, you can return the boots within one year of purchase for a refund.
Are Bean Boots Good For Rain?
Yes, bean boots can be used for rain as they are made from waterproof materials. In fact, a lot of bean boots are slip-resistant, as their rubber soles are designed to provide good traction, especially when worn on slippery terrain.
Plus you don’t need to worry about whether do bean boots need to be waterproofed as such because they have manufactured the soles & lower segments of the boots with rubber (which is already waterproofed).
Can You Wear Bean Boots In Snow?
So if you’re wondering whether “are bean boots good for snow?”
The answer is a clear yes! You can wear bean boots in the snow (in fact, you can even wear bean boots on ice) making them one of the most versatile outdoor boots, which also explains why they are so popular.
However, there are a few things to keep in mind when wearing bean boots in snow:
- Ensure that the boots are properly insulated.
- Wear thick winter socks that will wick away moisture.
- You should consider wearing Ice Cleats, especially when there is a thick layer of ice (extra traction).
The Pros & Cons Of Using Bean Boots
Now that you already know about bean boots, let’s unveil the pros and cons of wearing bean boots when hiking (at least, you know what to expect).
One of the biggest pros of wearing bean boots for hiking is that they are waterproof. This means that your feet will stay dry no matter what conditions you are hiking into.
Another benefit of wearing bean boots is comfort. Many hikers report that they can wear their bean boots all day without having any issues.
However, there are also a few cons of wearing bean boots for hiking such as lack of ankle support, which can be dangerous especially when you hike on uneven terrain.
Additionally, bean boots are made from waterproof materials which are non-breathable (not ideal for those who sweat a lot)
Here’s a summary of the pros & cons of using bean boots:
|Can be expensive|
Lack of ankle support
Best Bean Boots To Consider For Hiking
So now that you know about bean boots, the next question is: “Where can I buy bean boots?”
There are plenty of places you can look for bean boots, but rather than opening so many tabs and spending so much time searching for the perfect bean boots, I have compiled the perfect list for you!
Of course, LL Bean is by far one of the best bean boots maker in the market (& one of the most expensive), but if you are looking for LL Bean alternatives, these are a few great options you can consider:
Best Quality Bean Boots For Hiking
You should consider SOREL – Men’s Cheyanne II Waterproof Insulated Winter Boot. It is one of the best bean boots you can get for your hiking based on its excellent craftsmanship and sturdy features! (Another great alternative to L.L. bean boots)
What’s amazing about these bean boots:
- Extra-grip traction
- 200g insulation
- Classic design
Best Budget-friendly Bean Boots For Hiking
If you don’t feel like splurging on an expensive pair of bean boots just yet, that’s perfectly alright. Perhaps you can opt for Nautica Mens Duck Boots, as it still has the iconic bean boots aesthetic without breaking the bank.
What’s amazing about this bean boot:
- Made from vegan leather
Best Mid-range Bean Boots For Hiking
Now, if you are looking for decent pair of bean boots that have amazing quality features, then have a look at Sperry Unisex-Adult Brewster Rain Bean Boots. You get the best of both worlds (quality and price!)
What’s amazing about these bean boots:
- Unisex (so you can share with your partner if you both have the same size)
- Has cushioned footbed
- Has an amazing non-marking sole for dry and wet traction
Bean Boots For Family
If you and your family are a huge fan of bean boots, then be sure to check out these adorable bean boots baby (which are also available for older kids too!)
- For baby: you can consider getting Sperry Baby Bean Boots, and they will certainly serve looks for your outdoor family photoshoot!
- For toddlers and above: you can check out Sperry Saltwater Rain Boots. They even come in sizes for little kids (4-8 years old) and up to big kids (8 – 12 years old)
Bean Boots Dupe
If you’re looking for a bean boots dupe, you can also consider Skechers Duck Boots as it still preserves the authentic look of a bean boot despite that a sports shoe brand makes it.
Another great dupe to bean boots is the Timberland boots (which are hikers’ top-recommended footwear).
Both brands have their own fan base and their own unique features, but if you want to see the comparison between bean boots vs Timberlands boots visually then check out this video too!
How To Take Care Of Bean Boots
If you are planning on wearing your Bean Boots for hiking or using them for a long period, then it is important to know how to care for bean boots properly.
This means that you need to learn the methods of bean boots break-in before you hit the trails. This will help to soften the leather and make it more comfortable to wear.
There are several methods you can do to break in your bean boots:
- You can do this by wearing them around your house for a few days for a short period of time.
- Put a bag of water in the boots and leave it overnight in the freezer.
- You can use a hairdryer to heat & expand the boots.
For additional care, you can also treat your bean boots with a waterproofing agent before you hike. This gives additional protection to the upper leather from getting damaged by water.
Finally, make sure to store them in a cool, dry place when you are not using them (This will help to prolong their lifespan).
What To Do When Your Bean Boots Are Rubbing Ankles
If your bean boots are giving you blisters or rubbing your ankle, there are a few ways you can fix the problem.
- Wear a thick pair of socks. This will help to cushion your feet and prevent the boot from rubbing directly on your skin.
- You can also try adjusting the laces to loosen or tighten the fit of the boots.
- If the problem persists, you can try using a bandage or moleskin to protect your skin from the boots.
Get The Perfect Size For Your Bean Boots
When it comes to sizing for bean boots, there is no one-size-fits-all.
Depending on the brand and style of the boots, you may need to try a few different sizes before finding the perfect fit.
However, once you find the right size for your feet, you’ll be able to enjoy all the benefits that these boots have to offer.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind on how to size bean boots:
- Make sure you measure your foot correctly. Use a tape measure to find the length and width of your foot, then compare these measurements to the size chart of the boot you’re interested in.
- Consider the thickness of your socks. If you plan on wearing thicker socks with your bean boots, make sure to size up accordingly.
- Try the boots on in person if possible. If you’re shopping for bean boots online, be sure to read the sizing information carefully and look for customer reviews that can give you a better idea of how the boots fit.
What To Do If Bean Boots Are Too Tight?
Do you feel that your bean boots are hard to put on, don’t despair!
If you wonder how do bean boots fit, here are a few ideas to fix tight boots so that you can wear your bean boots comfortably.
- Try wearing thinner socks. This will help create extra space in the boot and make it easier to slip your foot in.
- You can also use a shoehorn to help ease your foot into the boot.
If neither of these methods works, you can try heating up the boot with a hairdryer. This will help make the leather expand and easier to stretch.
It also helps when you know how to tie your bean boots’ Eastland knot (one of the easiest & secure lacing methods) to fit your boots well.
If you don’t know how to tie an Eastland knot & need to see the steps visually, and you can quickly learn through this 2-minute tutorial video.
What To Do If Bean Boots Too Big
If you find your bean boots are too big, there are a few things that you can do to make them work better for you.
- Try wearing two pairs of socks or thick socks. This will also help to fill up the extra space and make the boot fit snugger.
- Add a pair of shoe inserts. This will help to take up some of the extra space in the boot and make it fit better.
Can Bean Boots Be Resoled?
If you use LL Bean, do a tap dance with your worn-out soles, as they do offer a fixing service (though it does come at a fee). The cost may vary depending on the damage. On average, they cost between $39 – $45.
Here’s the process to fix your bean boots, especially if you own a pair of LL Bean Boots:
- Step 1: Email the customer service & provide a detailed condition of your boots (better to add photos).
- Step 2: Once they revert on the cost to repair, please clean your boots prior to postage (no one wants to receive dirty, nasty boots).
- Step 3: Provide additional details via email.
- Step 4: Take a photo of your boots (just in case of anything) and post the boots.
Here is the address you can post to:
L.L.Bean Repairs Department, PO Box 1000, Freeport, ME 04032
(Do try and call to confirm)
- Step 5: You will receive an email with a payment link for the repair cost.
- Step 6: Wait for the boots to be returned. Usually, they would take on average 6-8 weeks to repair as all of their boots are repaired in Maine, USA.
It’s no wonder a pair of LL Bean Boots can be expensive as they are truly committed to preserving the quality of their products.
What Are Bean Boots Good For?
Bean boots are good for walking, hunting, canoeing, fishing, or around town. Here are a few features that make bean boots great for outdoor activities;
- Waterproof (though not very breathable)
- Easy to wear
- Have a fun and unique look
Does LL Bean Make Good Hiking Shoes?
The short is yes, LL Bean (a.ka L.L.Bean Alpine Hiking Boots) makes good hiking shoes because of its waterproof features. In fact, the testers were impressed by the reliable waterproofing despite LL Bean‘s aesthetic look and price. It is a perfect choice for walking around town in mixed fall/winter/spring conditions or for short jaunts through the woods or down trails.
Additionally, one Vermont-based tester even commented that LL Bean performed really well throughout its usage over the span of 6 months in both summer and spring weather.
How Waterproof are LL Bean boots?
Most bean boots are primarily waterproof. However, LL Bean certainly stood out as one of the best bean boots in the market thanks to its boot guard features which go the extra mile to ensure that the leather portion of the boot is not smeared by mud or water. Since it is made of natural products, it’s worth mentioning that LL Bean Boots need occasional upkeep to maintain their peculiar yet stylish appearance.
Do Bean Boots Have Arch Support?
Unfortunately, bean boots provide little to no arch support as these boots are not meant for long-hours usage. Bean boots are designed to keep your feet dry during any water-based activity. Alternatively, you may consider adding a waterproof arch support gel insert into your bean boots so that you can wear your boots while still being comfortable.
I hope you know the answer now to “are bean boots good for hiking?”
While they’re not the best option out there, they can work in a pinch, especially if you are going on a short hike. For long-distance hikers, bean boots may not be the perfect gear.
Make sure to take into account the weight of your pack and the type of terrain you’ll be hiking on, and also don’t forget to break them in before hitting the trail!
Share this article with your friends who love hiking (or Bean Boots) to see what they think. Let us know how your hikes go in the comments section below.
- Do You Wear Socks With Rock Climbing Shoes? [2022 Update]
- How To Stop Boots From Rubbing Ankles : 13 Practical Solutions 2022
- Can Hiking Shoes Be Used For Running? Best Answers of 2022
- Can You Wear Hiking Boots In The Snow [2022 Update]
- Crampons Or Microspikes: Which Is The Right Gear For You?
- Can You Wear Steel Toe Boots On A Plane: A Detailed Guide 2022
- Tactical Boots Vs. Hiking Boots: All You Need To Know [2022 Update]
- Combat Boots Vs Hiking Boots: A Comparative Guide For 2022