Looking for the best hiking boots for overpronation?
You love hiking but you don’t really enjoy it as much since you have overpronation? I feel you.
Overpronation and hiking do not go along very well and your feet hurt unless you find a good pair of best hiking boots for overpronation.
Painful feet should never stop me from doing my favorite activity, hiking! It shouldn’t stop you either.
Till date, I’ve been on more hikes than I can count on my fingers. From the Everest base camp to the fascinating walking trails all the way over in New Zealand, as well as trekking through hiking routes in Malaysia and Indonesia!
A crucial takeaway I had from my experiences was the importance of wearing the most comfortable hiking footwear to make the most of your experience.
Not all of my hikes have been joyful. Some have left me in tears because of the constant throbbing pain in my feet, followed by weeks of recovery. That’s why I took it upon myself to test out numerous boots in order to determine which ones are the most comfortable, with maximum support and stability.
You may have a hiking trip planned for the next month and that’s why you’re endlessly searching for hiking shoes for overpronation and wondering which ones are the best hiking shoes for overpronation.
If this is you, then this list of best hiking boots for overpronation should save your life, literally!
I have also shared some tips and tricks to get through hiking safely without having to hurt your feet badly.
Some of the links below are affiliate links and I may earn if you click and buy from them, AT NO EXTRA cost to you. Hope you find the information here useful! Thank you so much.
19 Best Hiking Boots For Overpronation
Best Quality: Oboz Bridger Mid B-Dry
Most Budget-Friendly: Timberland Men’s White Ledge Mid Shoe
Mid Range Compromise: Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Vent Hiking Shoe
17 Best Hiking Boots For Overpronation
To match the specific construction and shape of every pair of hiking boots made, the Oboz Bridger Mid Hiking Boots have insoles moulded. The nubuck full leather provides durability and utmost protection for your feet.
These best hiking shoes for pronation and flat feet have molded rubber toe caps to keep your toes off trail debris. They also come with a heel counter to maintain a comfortable snug fit.
- Suitable for a day hike
- TPU Chassis enhances stability hiking shoes and avoids stone bruising
- Single-density EVA provides comfort and extra cushioning
- Outsoles are built for extra support and ultimate protection for hiking
- Well-ventilated and waterproof
- Can hurt you feet after more than 10 wears, make sure to regularly apply with leather conditioner
- Fit smaller than your regular shoe size, consider sizing up or consult for best fit
These overpronation hiking boots from Timberland are made of 100% premium waterproof leather with seam-sealed construction. They are stylish, versatile, comfortable, and durable. They have fully gusseted tongues and comfortable EVA footbeds and midsoles.
The Timberland Men’s White Ledge Mid Waterproof Ankle Boots have a 4.75” shaft measurement from arch and rubber soles. You can expect secure lacing and support with rustproof speed lace hardware and hooks at the top.
- Great for various conditions
- Waterproof seam-sealed construction, so your feet stay dry
- Gusseted tongues for security and comfort
- Secure and speedy lace-up for adjustable fit
- Arch support
- Only suitable for casual hikes
- Need waterproof agent for better waterproof performance
The Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Vent Hiking Shoes are made of suede leather and mesh for durability and ventilation and are great options for Merrell shoes for overpronation.
These best hiking shoes for flat feet and overpronation have man-made soles that provide anti-slip properties and can help you stand on slippery surfaces well. However, don’t stand in flowing water with this Merrell overpronation.
- Mesh upper and high performance suede leather
- Bellows and closed-cell foam tongue to avoid moisture and dirt
- Protective rubber toe cap to protect your toes from hard debris
- 5mm lug depth mesh lining for air circulation
- Need regular maintenance – proper drying on low heat and application of waterproof agent
These hiking boots for overpronation provide lightweight precision and foothold with a wide fit. These stability hiking shoes pronation hug your feet comfortably to tackle downhills. The rubber soles improve traction and grip for rough surfaces.
- Mid top shaft measurement from arch for support
- Waterproof and durable, offering maximum traction on all terrains
- Tackle downhills easily with Gore-Tex technology
- Suitable for a day or multi-day adventure
- Could leak if not carefully maintained, consider applying waterproof agent
- Tricky sizing, read the size chart and measure your feet carefully
These hiking boots for overpronation are made with waterproof nubuck leather upper and breathable mesh lining for air circulation. The soles of these hiking shoes pronation are made of dual-compound rubber for stability and multi-directional lugs for higher traction grip.
- Ankle shaft measurement from arch for added support
- 4mm multi-directional lugs for better traction grip and slip-free movement
- Contoured heels for secure footing and comfort
- Dual-density EVA footbed helps support the arch
- Stability shank for extra lightweight support
- Resilient cushioning by the direct-attach PU midsoles for perfect fit
- Anti-odor technology and water repellent treatment
- Odd pinch points, might need slower and better breaking in.
These are one of the best hiking boots for women. Made from high-quality materials with sturdy stitching, these women’s hiking boots for overpronation are constructed with a waterproof seam with full-grain leather and suede upper and designed for long-lasting hiking use.
They also have a mesh tongue, a scratch rubber heel, and outdoor lace hardware. The Columbia Women’s Newton Ridge Plus Hiking Boots are the secure and stable hiking boots overpronation you want on long treks over various challenging terrains.
- Rubber sole for slip-free movement
- 5” shaft measurement from arch for added support
- Lightweight and durable midsole for comfort and ultimate cushioning
- Made of waterproof full-grain leather and suede bootie construction and durable and breathable mesh tongue
- Lace-up closure for a secure and adjustable fit
- Contrasting color combinations and soft suede exterior for that stylish look
- Have a dual-zone winter tread pattern for solid footing on icy and snowy surfaces
- Smaller in size, consult for best fit or consider sizing up
- Do not last that long, unless regularly maintained
These best hiking boots for overpronation are one of the best backpacking boots. They are lightweight and have a deep, aggressive lug pattern for ultimate traction on various terrains. They are also equipped with waterproof Gore-Tex for weather protection.
- Rugged and technical backpacking boots, suitable when hiking carrying a heavy backpack
- Motion control, push through protection, and energy management are important for extra support and reduce pain on your feet
- Suitable for a day hike or hitting the trails for multi-days
- Less cushioning, consider adding on insole cushion
- Leaky – debris can enter the boots, apply waterproof agent for better performance
These overpronation hiking shoes are like a four-wheel drive for your feet.
They keep your feet dry and comfortable. With 4mm lug depth, they provide great traction control.
One of the best men’s hiking shoes for overpronation, the external support shank in these gives stability to your torso for support through rough terrains, which makes them fantastic motion control hiking boots.
Made of 100% waterproof nubuck leather, the KEEN Targhee II Mid WP Hiking Boot allows you to hike without wetting your feet. They also have rubber soles for grip on various surfaces.
- The waterproof breathable material keeps your feet dry and comfortable all day long
- The leather is treated with PFC-free water repellent to avoid water from flooding the boots
- High-traction grip rubber outsoles suitable for all environments
- Leave no traces indoor with non-marking rubber outsoles
- Added ankle support and balance with External Support Shank (ESS), mid-cut, and contoured heels
- Low-profile upper for secure fit with padded collar and tongue
- Might wear off quickly if not properly maintained – dry appropriately in low heat and apply leather conditioner
The REI Co-Op Flash Hiking Boots uppers are made from 99% recycled polyester and are lightweight and durable. The rubber tread provides an anti-slip grip on various terrains with 4mm lugs.
The midsoles of these hiking shoes overpronation are created with algae-based foam to cushion your feet soft like your running shoes. These hiking boots for flat feet have insoles created with podiatrists for comfort and support.
- Durable and supportive uppers for long hours of light hikes
- Molded nylon midfoot shanks give lightweight support, protect your feet, and propel you forward
- Midfoot cradle system made of polyester webbing and lacing for extra support and comfort
- Adjustable and locked-down fit for comfort when moving
- Extra toe space for natural changes (like swelling)
- Too much pressure when worn straight out of the box- need proper breaking in
Made of waterproof leather and breathable mesh upper, the KEEN Voyageur Women’s Low Hiking Boots are suitable for beaches, mountains, and city streets.
If you stain these women’s best hiking boots for overpronation, treat them by rubbing a gum eraser lightly. Gently brush debris and loose dirt with a soft bristle brush or hand towel.
The soles of these walking boots for overpronation are made of rubber for grip and traction. The uppers repel water and the mesh increases ventilation.
- High-traction grip from the terrain rubber outsoles for muddy and rocky environments
- Multi-directional 4mm lugs for ultimate traction and grip on slippery surfaces
- Dual density EVA midsole to support comfort and reduce boot overall weight
- Lightweight support from the external stability shank
- Cushioned collars reduce discomfort and irritation around your ankles
- Foot sealed in place with reinforced eyelets
- Narrow toe box – consider sizing up a bit or consult for best fit
If you’re into short day hikes and looking for women’s hiking shoes for overpronation, the LOWA Renegade GTX Women’s Flat Feet Hiking Boots are perfect for you.
With a footbed that eliminates moisture, these hiking boots for flat feet come with a full-length nylon shank and shock-absorbent Vibram soles.
These best hiking boots for flat feet and overpronation also support loads up to 25 pounds. They are also equipped with corded lace-up vamp and speed-lacing grommets uppers.
- 4.75” shaft measurement from arch for extra support
- 1.5” heel measurement for stability while hiking
- 1” platform measurement for extra comfort
- Padded tongues and collars for security and support
- Full-length nylon stabilizing shank
- Not wide toed, consider sizing up a bit for a more comfort fit
- Could be bulky and heavy, suitable for light hikes with light loads
Lightweight yet durable, Columbia Men’s Newton Ridge Plus II Waterproof Hiking Boots are definitely a great option as walking shoes for overpronation.
A superior quality midsole with an advanced rubber outsole provides the extra traction required in different terrains while maintaining stability.
- Omni- grip rubber outsoles with strong grip reduce strain.
- Durable mesh tongue prevents moisture.
- Dual-zone winter tread pattern ensures stability on multiple terrains.
- Wide sizes, providing comfort.
- Durable Techlite midsole has supportive cushioning and absorbs impact.
- Might feel heavier for everyday use.
One of the best boots for overpronation, Skechers Men’s Relment-Pelmo Hiking Boots with their relaxed fit are definitely a game-changer for many.
The memory foam gives comfort and extra support while trekking, and the waterproof features make them a strong contender for best waterproof hiking boots.
- Extra wide sizes, perfect for overpronation.
- Durable with grippy soles, excellent for hiking.
- Ankle-high shaft from arch, provides extra stability.
- Superior water-resistant properties, eliminating chance of moisture.
- The laces are very short, and the boots might not stay laced up for long.
Made of 100% leather, the NORTIV Men’s waterproof hiking boots are a reliable option for your journey through the trails.
The insole is flexible, cushiony, and removable providing extra support on hikes and the shock-absorbent properties of the midsole enhance the stability. Another great choice is you’re looking for best boots for overpronation.
- Waterproof membrane keeps the feet dry.
- Multi-directional traction improves grip on rugged terrains.
- Rubber toe cap acts as shock absorber and protects the toes.
- 0.8″ heel provides extra support and stability.
- Might wear off quickly if not maintained properly.
Super comfortable and waterproof, FOXELLI Women’s Hiking boots are great boots for overpronation women’s, with their cushiony soles.
Superior ankle support and Rand guards in these hiking boots pronation provide extra stability and protection, preventing injuries.
- KingTex waterproof membrane prevents moisture.
- Gusseted tongue and breathable mesh collar for air circulation and cushioning.
- Shock absorbent midsoles for protection.
- Grippy rubber soles provide traction on tough trails.
- Might not be true to size.
- Might need to break-in.
XPETI Women’s Dimo Mid Waterproof Hiking boots are a lightweight yet durable option if you’re looking for best hiking shoes for women.
Rubber outsole provides the much-needed traction during hiking.
- Molded TPU ankle support for added protection.
- Rubber outsole with multi-directional lugs for grip and support.
- Integrated EVA midsole for extra comfort.
- Molded toe cap protects toes from injuries.
- Moisture wicking mesh lining with X-DRY membrane, eliminates moisture and keeps feet dry.
- Might not be true to size so go for a half or full size up.
- Might feel heavier.
Made with vegan synthetic leather and mesh, SHULOOK Men’s Waterproof hiking boots are vegan best boots for pronation.
These best men’s hiking boots for overpronation are excellent motion control hiking shoes because of the cushioning provided by the MD midsole and the elastic Ortholite removable insole, which also offers long-lasting support and stability.
- SL-TEX waterproof membrane with sealing prevents moisture and keeps the feet dry.
- Rubber and EVA synthetic sole with 4 mm outward lugs for better grip and extra balance.
- Stretchy insole with incredible shock absorbent properties.
- Strong toe cap protects the toes.
- Rear upper and arch support for stability.
- Are water resistant but might get soaked in heavy rains.
- Might wear out sooner on continuous use.
Looking for best women’s hiking shoes for overpronation? Merell Women’s Alverstone Hiking Shoes are one of the best out there. The insoles cushioning enhances stability and flexibility in the sizes is a relief for people with overpronation.
Made of suede leather, these best womens hiking boots are unquestionably the go-to motion control hiking shoes.
- Kinetic Fit Base insoles for flexibility.
- Merrell Air Cushion in the heel for instant shock absorption.
- Metal D-ring lacing system prevents unwanted dirt from entering.
- M Select dry membrane keeps the feet dry.
- M select 5 mm outsole is grippy and provides traction.
- The lace might wear out quickly, unless properly maintained.
- Might need proper breaking in.
One of the best women’s hiking boots for overpronation is the KEEN Women’s Pyranees Mid Height Hiking Boots, with its super comfy features.
For improved balance and mobility, the external stability shank does wonders! Cleaning these best women’s hiking shoes for pronation with a leather cleaner and conditioner prolongs their life.
- Removable, dual density EVA sole adds support to the feet.
- Multi-directional 4mm lugs enhance grip in varied terrains.
- The waterproof membrane prevents moisture.
- Cushioned collar acts as a shield for ankle.
- Might not be true to size, consider going for a half size higher.
- The soles might wear out quickly if not maintained properly.
What Is Overpronation?
Okay, now let’s learn a little bit about overpronation. The medical term is pes planus, a condition where your feet are flat when standing up.
Overpronation is a type of flat feet condition other than neutral pronation and under pronation or supination. It happens when your foot rolls inward too much toward the arch.
If you have supination, you can check out these best hiking boots for supination.
How do you know you have overpronation?
You can simply ask for help to observe your feet midsoles when standing up. If they are not arched like how they should and your feet roll inward too much, then you most probably have overpronation.
This condition commonly occurs after 2 years of age in a person’s life.
And it is permanent. However, it should not really bother your everyday routine although you might feel that your feet are sore easily when you walk or stand for too long. Wearing the best hiking boots for pronation, you will not suffer as much.
Things to Consider When Choosing the Best Hiking Boots for Overpronation
From the list of the best hiking boots for overpronation above, now you know that you need a specific type of hiking boots to ensure comfort. Consider these things when you’re choose the best hiking boots for overpronation.
1.Durability and Cushioning
Durability is needed to make sure your overpronation boots stay intact and serve their purposes for a long time. Look for hiking boots with cushions toward the inside. This is the part to protect your midsole to avoid soreness.
You also need hiking boots with a shank between the midsole and outsole. It is an insert that is semi-rigid and fits in the boot midsole.
What does a shank do?
A shank provides stability when hiking on rough terrain, protects your foot from sharp objects, and gives ample stiffness to hiking boots so they flex at the balls of the feet when loaded.
When you’re buying online, make sure to consult for virtual outfitting. Most brands do this to make sure buyers buy best hiking boots for overpronation correctly and for ultimate satisfaction.
You can set an appointment with a consultant and he/she will guide you throughout your whole purchasing experience. You can even consult for the best walking boots for overpronation UK or US, wherever you’re comfortable with.
If you enjoy hiking in the winters, you can select hiking boots that also serve as best winter boots for overpronation.
Taking Care Of Your Hiking Boots
You can try these tips to keep your best hiking shoes overpronation stay durable and longer-lasting:
- Break into your leather hiking boots slowly. Don’t put wax on them instantly. Go on shorter hikes first before going on longer ones.
- Clean and dry them regularly. You need to do this at least every 2 or 3 trips. Clean off the mud by hosing them down with water and brushing them off. Instead of putting them near a heater, place them in a warm room or a dryer to avoid melting the soles and cracking the leather.
- Make sure the insoles are removed after each use. Let them out overnight as wet insoles could cause smelly and dirty hiking boots.
- Keep hiking boots waterproof by applying a thin layer of waterproof agent. This should not be done regularly, only once in a while.
Do Boots Help With Overpronation?
Not all hiking boots are for overpronation. But if you’re looking for best hiking shoes for pronated feet, then find a pair of sturdy and stable hiking boots that do not have bent arches.
These boots should tremendously help if you have flat feet and are looking for the best hiking boots for overpronation to go hiking comfortably.
Should Hiking Boots Have Arch Support?
Best walking boots for overpronation with proper arch support shows that they have the right fit. Good fit and arch support help prevent blisters, hot spots, and plantar fasciitis. Best hiking boots should also perfectly fit your feet and securely hold your feet without hot spots or too much pressure.
Are OBOZ Good For Flat Feet?
The Oboz Bridget has O-fit insoles that perfectly mold to the foot. It also cradles your foot and offers the best possible support. Besides, comfort is a top priority for flat feet. All these are delivered well with every step in the Oboz Bridger.
Do Overpronators Really Need Stability Shoes?
Yes, overpronators need stability shoes or motion control shoes. People with overpronation can benefit from them as they provide support and prevent the ankle and arch from rolling inwards.
Motion control shoes enhance the stability while hiking/running and help avoid injuries.
What Do Shoes Look Like If You Overpronate?
Wondering what shoes look like if you overpronate? The middle part of the heels, inside edges of the heels, and inner edges of the shoes close to the balls of your feet wear off the quickest if you have overpronation.
Can You Wear Neutral Running Shoes If You Overpronate?
You should avoid neutral running shoes if you overpronate. Motion control shoes are a better option if you have overpronation as they offer extra support, stability, and improved arch support.
You can wear neutral running shoes if you underpronate or are a neutral runner.
Is Gel Kayano Good For Overpronation?
ASICS’ Gel Kayano is one of the best running shoes for overpronators. These motion control shoes provide greater stability and have midsoles with maximum cushioning, making them extremely comfortable if you overpronate.
Their Litetruss technology helps provide excellent support to the arches while the upper enhances breathability.
Should Hiking Boots Have High Or Low Friction?
Hiking boots should have low friction to prevent injuries and blisters. The ideal hiking boots have good cushioning to support the feet, and firm midsoles and insoles which enhance the stability and keep the feet steady.
Are Work Boots Supposed To Be Loose Or Tight?
Work boots are supposed to be not too loose or tight. They should be tied securely enough to prevent the foot from slipping inside the boot, without doing any damage or creating blisters.
Too tight boots can limit flexibility and chafe the feet while too loose boots prevent traction and can lead you to slip easily.
Are Wide Boots Better For Flat Feet?
Wondering if wide boots are better for flat feet? Yes, wide boots are definitely better for flat feet than neutral shoes. Wide boots contain plenty of toe room, which helps people with flat feet get sufficient support.
Overpronation puts more pressure on the toes, and wider boots cushion the arches.
Do KEEN Boots Have Good Arch Support?
Yes, KEEN offers a range of boots which have good arch support and are quite comfortable. In addition to providing cushioned soles, they also allow you to insert custom insoles to support your feet.
Given the stability, support, and breathability of the boots, it’s an excellent choice.
Can You Buy Insoles For Overpronation?
Yes, you can buy insoles for overpronation. Insoles provide the necessary cushioning required by overpronated feet and reduce the strain. The extra padding supports the arches and helps to stabilize foot movement.
Insoles also reduce ankle injuries as they act as shock absorbers and minimize foot friction.
How Much Should Your Heel Move In Hiking Boots?
If the boots are true to size, there should be no movement at all, however heel movement of a quarter inch or less is fine. To avoid excessive movement, you can insert heel cups or insoles with added cushioning to stabilize the feet.
From the descriptions shared above, hopefully, you will find the best hiking boots for overpronation. Consider the trails and period of usage before you really want to buy the desired hiking boots. What’s important is your foot health, so consider this very carefully. Happy searching!
- Best Hiking Shirts For Hot Weather [ For Women And Men]
- Best Lightweight Long Sleeve Hiking Shirt Womens
- 21 Best Women’s Leggings For Hiking In 2023
- 15 Best Hiking Boots for Weak Ankles [Men + Women] 2023
- 19 Best Hiking Tights To Keep You Comfy On Your Hike
- 10 Best Hiking Underwear For Women [2023 Update]
- 15 Best Hiking Jackets For Women [2023 Update]
- 11 Best Budget Hiking Pants of 2023